Riverside Shore Memorial Hospital offers Eastern Shore residents what mobile units cannot – the assurance of board-certified, quality vascular screenings. Our lab is one of very few in the nation accredited to perform screenings.
If you are older than 50 and you smoke, have high blood pressure or diabetes, eat a high-fat diet or get too little exercise, you may be at risk for a stroke or aneurysm, and you should consider being screened. Three tests are available:
- Carotid artery exams which screen for stroke risk.
- Aorta Exams which check for aneurysm in the abdominal aorta.
- ABI (ankle/brachial index) exams which check for circulation to the legs.
Exams cost $35 each or $89 for all three at once. Screenings can be booked by calling (757) 302-2284. Insurance will not cover the cost of these screenings, but if an abnormality is discovered, patients’ insurance will cover referral to a specialist.
Our laboratory meets the highest standards. We were the first in Virginia to be accredited for screenings by ICAVL, a national vascular lab accreditation organization.
Our full range of tests
- Stroke risk assessment. Our Carotid Doppler (NICS) test checks for plaque formations in the carotid arteries, which supply blood to the brain and face.
- Testing for aneurysms, blockages. Abdominal Duplex Exams (aorta, aorta-iliac duplex, SMA/celiac and renal artery doppler) check for aneurysms, or weak spots, as well as blood clots or plaque formations in the aorta and branching arteries that supply blood through the torso to the lower body, including the kidneys.
- Circulation testing. Arterial Physiologic Exams check circulation in legs and feet, and less commonly in arms and hands.
- Testing for clots in veins. Venous Duplex Exams check for blood clots in veins in legs or arms. You’ll need to remove clothing from affected areas.
We offer 17 exams in all. Our other services include Arterial Duplex Exams, to monitor patients who have undergone procedures such as angioplasty; and Dialysis Access Exams, to diagnose problems impeding kidney dialysis.
Our state-of-the-art sonar equipment uses sound waves to create images of the veins and arteries inside the body. This technology lets us see plaque formations, blood clots and other vascular abnormalities — quickly and painlessly.
If we notice anything abnormal during any exam, your doctor will be notified immediately so you can get the treatment you need as soon as possible. Otherwise we explain results, and answer any questions, during the exam.
Hours and location
Riverside Shore Memorial Hospital
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. By appointment only.
Call (757) 302-2284 for an appointment.