Riverside Shore Health Services
Riverside Shore Health Services is more than just a corporate name. It represents a set of values that prompted Eastern Shore residents to come together more than 80 years ago to build a hospital. Those values continue to exist today in our commitment to improved medical capabilities and expanded services.
What you can count on with Riverside Shore Health Services
- That you and your family will receive a full spectrum of care, at all stages of life
- That when applicable, our clinical programs are fully certified and accredited
- That we make affordable care a consistent goal and that we accept all major health plans
To care for others as we would care for those we love -- to enhance their well-being and improve their health
Riverside will be an integrated health system, trusted to provide our communities with care and services that enhance their quality of life.
Our Core Values
- Trust earned through safety, quality of care and service
- Team work, diversity and respect
- Physician integration and leadership
- Deep community involvement
- Healthy growth and financial stability
- The American College of Radiology
- The American College of Surgeons
- The College of American Pathologists
- The Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Vascular Laboratories
- American Board of Registration of Electroencephalographic and Evoked Technologists
- Virginia Department of Health
- Virginia Department of Mental Health
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
RIVERSIDE SHORE HEALTH SERVICES CAMPUS FACTS
- 60-acre parcel of land in Onancock and Onley, VA.
- Campus includes Riverside Shore Memorial Hospital, Riverside Shore Cancer Center, Riverside Medical Office Building, a helipad and ample parking.
- Electronic medical record consistently used across services and facilities.
Riverside Shore Memorial Hospital (RSMH)
- The new Riverside Shore Memorial Hospital totals 139,100 square feet spread over 2 floors. This is a nearly 20% increase in square footage over the Nassawadox facility.
- It offers 52 private inpatient rooms of which 10 are critical care and 6 are Mother/Baby.
- The Emergency Department offers 2 private triage rooms plus 13 private treatment rooms including a trauma room.
- A pneumatic tube delivery system whisks items to a designated department, allowing team members to stay at the patient’s bedside.
Energy efficiency in the building’s design keeps energy usage low over the long term. These features include:
- A masonry exterior that meets or exceeds conservation code requirements.
- Double pane glass windows with glazing to improve privacy and reduce solar heat gain.
- A light colored roof to reduce heat-island effect and reduce solar heat gain.
- Reduced artificial light due to large windows that allow daylight into the building.
- Occupancy sensors for non-patient care areas that automatically turns off lights when areas are not in use.
- Variable-flow heating and cooling allows reduced energy consumption during lower usage times.
- Air handlers allow the use of outside air for cooling during cooler times of the year.
Patient Room Key Facts
- All inpatient rooms are private with oversized windows to provide natural light and views of the outdoors.
- Patient rooms very large to allow treatment equipment to be rolled to the bedside so that many procedures can be done in the privacy of the patient’s room.
- State-of-the-art communications systems allow nurses who are in the room with a patient to call for help in emergency situations.
- Computers in inpatient and emergency department rooms allow team members to document and place orders without leaving the patient’s bedside.
- All rooms feature a private bathroom. On the Medical/Surgical unit and in the Mother/Baby unit, the bathrooms include a stand up shower.
- All rooms feature a comfortable sleeper chair or loveseat for visitors spending the night.
- 12 rooms offer in-room dialysis.
- Each room offers a large, flat screen television.
First Floor Highlights
- Outpatient services such as Admitting/Registration, Imaging/Radiology, Cardiology testing, Respiratory testing, Diabetes Center and the Laboratory are all located on the first floor.
- Radiology, the Laboratory and the Emergency Room are co-located for easy access between services.
- All of Imaging’s equipment is digital which quickly produces high resolution images.
- Imaging’s MRI is a large (wide) bore with a short tunnel, making for a more comfortable experience while retaining excellent image quality.
- 3D mammography for patients with dense breast tissue reduces the need for repeat scans in some patients.
- A comprehensive breast program in our Imaging Department includes stereotactic- and ultrasound-guided breast biopsies, allowing more women to receive their care right here on the Shore.
- The Emergency Department features two crisis intervention rooms with a panel that keeps electrical outlets and medical gases out of a patient’s reach. This is an important safety feature for patients at risk of harming themselves or others.
Second Floor Highlights
- 52 Inpatient rooms including Medical/Surgical, Pediatrics, Mother/Baby Unit and ICU.
- Pre-Op, Post-Op services.
- All rooms feature very large windows for ample natural light. Rooms also feature room darkening and blackout shades for times when reduced light is preferred.
- 3 Operating Rooms and 2 procedure rooms.
- Operating Rooms feature a green LED light which improves visual acuity for the surgeon. The LED light stays cool to the touch, keeping the room temperature consistent for the patient, staff and surgeon.
- The operating rooms feature large screen monitors that can display the patient’s electronic medical record, previous x-rays or other images or video of the surgery in an easy-to-see format from the operating table.
- In the Mother/Baby unit, two triage rooms will improve the patient flow when arriving moms need evaluation.
- Mother/Baby includes three Labor Delivery Recovery Postpartum (LDRP) rooms where moms stay for the entire visit.
- Mother/Baby also includes three postpartum rooms for moms who deliver in L&D or in the OR.
- Mother/Baby is next door to the OR. This improves patient privacy if a laboring patient needs to move into the OR.
- 12 Dialysis rooms
- 1 Hospice room
Riverside Shore Cancer Center (RSCC)
- Sleep Lab services and infusion services are offered at the Center, along with traditional chemotherapy and radiation therapy (including IMRT) services.
- The chemotherapy suite includes 8 treatment chairs and 2 private rooms for patients who need privacy.
Riverside Medical Office Building
- The Medical Office Building includes gastroenterology, gynecology, neurology, obstetrics, orthopedics, podiatry, pulmonology and surgery.
- Outpatient Physical Therapy shares the office building.