Using sophisticated teleconferencing technology along with a range of specialized peripherals – digital devices that can help assess a patient's condition remotely – telemedicine makes it possible to share clinical capabilities between one location and another, no matter how far apart they are located.
As a result the physician specialists at Riverside Regional Medical Center in Newport News, the Peninsula's most comprehensive medical facility, can reach out to other areas of the state to extend access to care and help local physicians improve patient outcomes.
Ten important benefits of telemedicine
- People in rural communities can take advantage of care from Riverside Regional Medical Center specialists, many of them with nationally recognized patient outcomes without traveling to the facility
- Physicians who traditionally rotate to different care sites can interact with their patients more frequently
- Highly personalized patient care
- Can be less intimidating than a traditional doctor's visit for small children
- Provides an option for patients with mobility issues
- Postoperative follow up care closer to home
- Earlier interventions can save lives and reduce disabilities
- More convenient management of chronic conditions
- Enhances community alliances and collaboration with other care providers
- Offers secure (HIPAA compliant) communications
Riverside's telemedicine network
Riverside's telemedicine network brings a whole new meaning to "the doctor will see you now." With its ability to expand access to high quality care in rural areas, improve patient outcomes and save costs, telemedicine is an important part of the future of health care in our region and nation. Learn more.
MyChart Video Visits
We want you to have access to appropriate care when and where you need it. In many cases, video visits in MyChart can be an option, from the comfort of home.