Riverside breast cancer experts recommend women age 40 and over have a mammogram every year. This is an important part of detecting breast cancer early when tumors are easier to treat. Use our Schedule an Appointment option to find a time and location that is best for you.
If you have questions about scheduling your mammogram, please contact Central Scheduling, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 757-989-8830 option 2 or 1-800-675-6368 option 2.
Helpful information about mammograms
- You will need to remove clothing from the waist up. Wear a blouse, sweater or two-piece outfit.
- Do not use deodorant, powder, perfume, ointment, or cream on your breasts or underarms. This can leave residue that interferes with the test results.
- For some women, caffeine causes breast tenderness. One to two weeks before your exam, cut back or stop consuming products with caffeine (for example, coffee, tea, chocolate, cola).
- If you have any special health needs or considerations, please feel free to call and notify the appropriate center.
- If there is any chance you may be pregnant, please inform the technologist before the exam.
Plan to arrive about 20 minutes before your appointment time for check-in. Please bring these items with you:
- A list of medications you are taking
- Your most recent mammogram films
- Proof of identification
- Insurance card
- Copayment, if any
A radiologist will review the mammogram images and send a written report to your doctor. The results will be part of your electronic medical record. You can view your results using Riverside MyChart.
If you have questions about whether or not your insurance will pay for screening mammograms, please contact your insurance carrier. Here is a list of insurance we accept.