Bravo 48 Hour PH Monitor Test
An esophageal pH test measures and records the pH in your esophagus to determine if you have gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). The test can also be done to determine the effectiveness of medications or surgical treatment for GERD.
How does the Bravo esophageal pH test work?
A small capsule, about the size of a gel cap, is temporarily attached to the wall of the esophagus during an upper endoscopy. The capsule measures pH levels in the esophagus and transmits readings by radio telecommunications to a receiver. The receiver has several buttons on it that you will press to record symptoms of GERD such as heartburn. You will be asked to maintain a diary to record certain events such as when you start and stop eating and drinking, when you lie down, and when you get back up. This will be explained by the nurse.
Benefits of Bravo esophageal pH test
Bravo provides a more tolerable and convenient way to evaluate your heartburn symptoms when compared to catheter-based pH monitoring systems.
A catheter-free test allows you to engage in your usual activities during the test period:
- Eat normally
- Bathe and sleep comfortably
- Maintain your daily life
How to prepare for a Bravo pH test
Please let us know if you have a pacemaker or implantable heart defibrillator, a history of bleeding problems, dilated blood vessels, and any other previously known problems with your esophagus.
- Seven days before the monitoring period, do not take proton pump inhibitors such as omeprazole (Prilosec®), lansoprazole (Prevacid®), rabeprazole (Aciphex®), pantoprazole (Protonix®), esomeprazole (Nexium®)
- Two days before the monitoring period, do not take the H2 blockers ranitidine (Zantac®), cimetidine (Tagamet®), famotidine (Pepcid®), nizatidine (Axid®);or the promotility drug, metoclopramide (Reglan®)
- Six hours before the monitoring period, do not take antacids (such as Alka-Seltzer®, Gaviscon®, Maalox®, Milk of Magnesia®, Mylanta®, Phillips®, Riopan®, Tums®or any other brands)
- Four to 6 hours before your appointment do not eat or drink