Join us for diabetes education classes where you can meet others facing the same challenges as you. Our program has been awarded recognition by the American Diabetes Association. The instructors are trained in diabetes education.
Some classes require a doctor's referral or prescription and have fees that may be covered by your health insurance. Call us and we will check with your insurance provider.
Diabetes Prevention and Weight Loss Program
The Diabetes Prevention and Weight Loss Program is especially for people with prediabetes. This free program focuses on lifestyle changes for people with prediabetes, like healthy eating, physical activity and weight loss. The program is recognized by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Two-day Self-management Course
At Riverside, we want to reduce the impact of diabetes on your health and your life. This two-day program will provide you with the information and tools you need to live a healthy lifestyle, feel better and avoid complications from diabetes. This class requires a referral from your doctor. Ask your doctor if this class is right for you.
Our diabetes educators will help you to:
- Understand diabetes. We'll explain how you develop diabetes, what happens when your blood glucose rises and its long-term impact on your body.
- Learn to eat healthy. You'll learn how to read food labels, how to make good menu choices when eating out, and tasty recipe modifications.
- Learn how to lower your risk of long-term diabetic complications.
- Learn how to recognize, prevent and manage diabetes emergencies.
- Learn about the impact stress has on your the body. We'll teach you techniques to manage stress in your own life.
- Select the type of glucose monitor that works for you to test your glucose levels daily.
- Learn about diabetes medications and the steps to taking them correctly.
- Learn why exercise helps your blood sugar levels. We'll help you find the right exercise for you and encourage you to get started.
Nutritional Focus Group
Four participants from the Two-day Self Management Class can participate in this in-depth discussion of nutrition.
The pre-pump education class includes one hour of carbohydrate counting.
A glucose monitor representative is offering Advanced Pumping education classes at the Riverside Diabetes Services office in Newport News on the fourth Wednesday of each month.
One-on-one sessions are available, if you have special needs.
To register for classes, call 757-534-5918.