A common feeling among patients diagnosed with cancer is a sense of being alone, of not being able to share their concerns, anxieties and fears, even with family and loved ones. That situation and the importance of being empowered through information and common experiences is the basis for the emphasis that Riverside Cancer Care places on education and support.
This support includes individual and highly personalized assistance with navigating the complexities of the health care system, programs that focus on the emotional needs of patients and the people at home who help provide their care, art and expressive therapies, web resources related to cancer care and a number of support groups for patients and family members and friends.
The Patient Navigation Program
This program helps guide patients and their families through the health care system in general and the cancer experience in particular. Riverside wants to help support you and your family through this difficult time. Our patient navigators help smooth out an often scary and sometimes isolated road. They will be there to help guide you through tests, treatments and the many questions you might face.
- Provide reliable information and comforting support
- Help coordinate care for breast, prostate, lung, colorectal and pancreatic cancer patients from a suspicious screening through diagnosis, treatment and cancer survival.
- Help with concerns about insurance, transportation and a variety of support services.
Riverside's Patient Navigation Program is here for you at no cost.
For more information, please contact:
- Mary Cleckler, RN, BS, OCN, Patient Navigator
Prostate Cancer Program 757-534-5196
- Elizabeth Jenkins, RN, BSN, OCN, Patient Navigator
Breast Cancer Program 757-594-4229
- Francie Verniel, BS, RN, OCN, Patient Navigator
Lung Cancer Program 757-534-5156
- Christine Johnson, BSN, RN, PCCN, Patient Navigator
Gloucester Cancer Program 804-791-3298
Fran Holcomb is Riverside Cancer Service's Nurse Educator. As an oncology certified nurse, Fran is a community resource for cancer patients and their family, friends, and significant others. Fran can help with breast and cervical cancer early detection programs, cancer screenings and other prevention materials. Her office is located adjacent to the Cancer Resources Library, on the 1st floor of the Riverside Cancer Care Center in Newport News.
Cancer Resources Library
Riverside Cancer Care offers a cancer resources library for cancer patients, family or friends, and those in the community interested in cancer prevention and early detection. The library has:
- lay-oriented books
- informative brochures on a wide collection of cancer-related topics.
The library is located on the first floor of the Riverside Cancer Care Center and is available free to those in need of information. Cancer Services staff members are available to assist those who visit the library.
Address & Phone Number:
Cancer Resource Library
Riverside Cancer Care Center
12100 Warwick Blvd.
Newport News, Virginia 23601
Riverside Hospice provides bereavement support to assist adults in adjustments during the initial period of mourning and into the actual work of grief after the death of a loved one. To assist in this process, group and individual counseling are provided to those who are in need of this service. There is an evening group, which meets the second and fourth Thursday of each month.
This group is open to the community at large and to any type of loss resulting from the death of a loved one. They are designed for adults 18 years of age and older; both are free of charge. Individual bereavement counseling is available for a limited number of sessions to provide additional support when needed.
This service is also free of charge. Bereavement education is also available to area groups such as physician offices, universities, and service organizations who wish to learn more about the grief process or who are interested in helping others with the grief process.
- American Association for Cancer Research
- American Brain Tumor Association
- American Cancer Society
- American Dietetic Association
- Cancer Links
- Colon Cancer Alliance
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- Lung Cancer Alliance
- Mayo Clinic
- National Alliance of Breast Cancer
- National Cancer Institute
- National Institutes of Health
- National Library of Medicine
- Prostate Cancer Foundation
- Susan G. Komen For The Cure® (Breast Cancer)
- Virginia Breast Cancer Foundation
- Women's Health