As a new member of the Riverside family, you'll be joining us at an exciting time and joining a health care family that includes hospital services, primary care providers, specialists and lifelong health communities.
Our Hospital. Riverside Walter Reed Hospital, the heart of our community, is a 67-bed acute care facility located near historic Gloucester Village in Gloucester County. With 24-hour emergency service and a 12,000 square foot Intensive Care Unit, Walter Reed features a complete range of outpatient services, a highly professional, caring staff and more than 50 outstanding area physicians. As part of the Riverside Health System, Walter Reed also has direct access to Riverside Regional Medical Center's Level II Trauma Center, nationally recognized Heart Center and 18-bed Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
Today, Walter Reed is undergoing its largest renovation and expansion project in its 40-year history, creating a better place to heal for patients, family, visitors and team members.
The renovation and expansion project includes a new two-story Surgical and Inpatient Services building on the campus of Riverside Walter Reed Hospital. The 65,000 square foot Surgical and Inpatient Services building will include capacity for four new state-of-the-art operating suites, two procedure rooms, pre-operative and post-operative recovery areas along with 36 private patient rooms located on the second floor.
Riverside Walter Reed's Emergency Department will expand from 6,300 square feet to more than 16,000 square feet including 18 beds, three major treatment rooms, a trauma room and a Family Care Room. The Family Care Room is made possible through generous contributions from Middle Peninsula community members, businesses and volunteers and will provide a dedicated area of privacy for families and loved ones during what may be one of the most difficult times in their lives.
To make room for the expansion and renovation of the Emergency Department, Riverside Walter Reed's main hospital entrance will relocate to the area of campus where the current Medical Arts Building entrance is located and be accessed from Gloucester's Main Street and Medical Drive. Renovations related to this move include a new lobby, registration and waiting area, gift shop and much more.
As part of the master plan for the project, Riverside Walter Reed has recently completed the renovation and relocation of Outpatient Imaging Services including Mammography, Outpatient CT, Bone Density and Ultrasound. The new Outpatient Imaging Suite is located in the Medical Arts Building and includes the addition of 3D Mammography services.
Future campus construction and renovation includes a new suite for the two Orthopedic practices on campus, an expansion of the Middle Peninsula Cancer Center as well as additional campus parking.
Our Specialists. In addition to the hospital's services, Riverside on the Middle Peninsula provides a wide range of inpatient and outpatient services and access to specialists, including orthopedics, women's health, urology, general surgery, therapies (physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, hand therapy, nutrition), gastroenterology, cardiology, nephrology, a neurology and sleep center, ophthalmology, pain management, physiatry and vascular.
Wellness and Fitness. Health and wellness doesn't start or stop in the doctor's office. It continued on with every day activities –like exercise. The Riverside Wellness and Fitness Center on the Middle Peninsula is a popular social destination located on the campus of the Riverside Walter Reed Hospital. The Center is popular with Riverside team members and the community alike. Members of all ages and health levels workout together seven days a week, taking advantage of an indoor pool, indoor track, racquetball courts, indoor basketball court, volleyball court, group exercise studio, strength training room, free weights, cardiovascular equipment, massage therapy and personal training.
Our Primary Care Practices. Riverside loves being part of this community and operates five primary care practices located throughout the Middle Peninsula and Northern Neck region, bringing care close to families no matter where they live:
- Hayes Medical Center
- Internal Medicine Associates of Gloucester
- Mathews Medical Center
- Fishing Bay Family Practice
- White Stone Family Practice
Our Older Adult Services Caring for others as we would care for those we love extends especially to the older adults in our community. Riverside on the Middle Peninsula offers Sanders Retirement Community and Heron Cove in Gloucester court house. In addition to Sanders, we have convalescent centers in Mathews, Saluda and West. Home Health, Homecare, In-Home Technology including medication dispensing as well as Walter Reed Hospice are also available in our region.
- Sanders Retirement Community located just off of Main Street in Gloucester court house boasts an incredible family atmosphere and features genuinely caring people. Because of its unique status as a Riverside community, Sanders has resources and expertise to draw upon that other communities cannot begin to equal. Lifestyles and services range from Independent Living, Assisted Living, to Long-term Care, and Rehabilitation, providing peace of mind, comfortable transitions and great continuity of care should it ever be needed—including the outstanding services of Riverside Walter Reed Hospital.
- Mathews Convalescent Center. From the moment you drive past flowering trees and walk into the comfortable living room of the Mathews Convalescent Center, you'll find a warm and inviting setting. Whether it's a private or shared accommodation, each room features distinctive furniture and pleasant views of the countryside. With comprehensive nursing care, a wide variety of social programs, and therapy services, residents are encouraged to maintain the highest level of independence possible. A bright dining area provides the perfect setting for nutritious meals as well as socialization as does our beautiful new sunroom.
- Saluda Convalescent Center. Riverside's Saluda Convalescent Center features comprehensive long-term services provided in a delightful home-like environment. Spacious private and semi-private rooms are comfortable with close proximity to the central nursing station. A scenic patio area is the perfect spot for cookouts and socialization with family and friends. In addition, therapy services are available to ensure that residents function at their highest levels. With a dedicated team of nurses, nursing aides, therapists, nutrition and environment team members, this center's reputation sets the standard for long term care in the Saluda area.
- West Point Convalescent Center. Riverside's West Point Convalescent Center features nursing and rehabilitation services provided in a relaxed, quiet environment.