Cruisers' Club refines swimming techniques, builds endurance, and introduces swimmers to competitive swimming training. As a pre-competitive swimming program, Cruisers' Club is a natural progression from the American Red Cross Swimming Lessons offered by the Riverside Wellness and Fitness Center-Peninsula.
Each session starts with stroke and conditioning evaluations to determine if the swimmers are in the appropriate Cruisers' group. Please keep in mind that your child's age does not automatically qualify him/her for a particular level of Cruisers' Club, nor does swimming on a summer league swim team mean your child does not need swimming lessons. Taking the time to teach swimming skills that should be attained through swimming lessons hampers the progress of the majority of swimmers who meet the criteria for Cruisers' Club 1, 2, and 3.
Not sure what level to register your child for? Take advantage of Cruisers' Club try outs to see what level they should begin with. Try outs will be held on the following days:
- Wednesday, August 16 at 6:30PM-7:30PM
- Saturday, August 19 at 3:00PM-4:00PM
- Sunday, August 20 at 6:30PM-7:30PM
After the first session current Cruisers' Club participants may register one week prior to open registration. Once registration begins, anyone may sign up. You must register in person; no phone registrations will be accepted. Payment in full is required at the time of registration. After the registration dates, participants may still register depending upon availability of class space. Registration will end one day prior to the first day of class.
Upcoming Sessions (September 2017 - June 2018):
Each session is 10 weeks long and will meet Monday, Wednesday Friday of each week.
September 11th - November 17th
(Registration begins August 21st)
November 20th - January 26th
(Registration begins November 13th)
January 29th - April 6th
(Registration begins January 22nd)
April 9th - June 15th
(Registration begins April 2nd)
Cruisers' Club Levels
The following are Cruisers' Club program levels, including practice schedule and times, the levels' prerequisites and objectives.
- Practice schedule is Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 4:30 PM for 55 minutes.
- This group is an entry level for competitive swimming. The swimmer must have swimming skills of the Learn-to-Swim Level 5.
- They should have a good freestyle (crawl stroke) with rhythmic breathing capable of swimming 50 meters.
- The swimmer should be able to successfully swim 50 meters of a fully coordinated backstroke with a steady flutter kick.
- They should have a basic ability of breaststroke. Some difficulty with the breaststroke (whip) kick and stroke timing will be acceptable.
- Each swimmer should have a willingness to learn butterfly.
- Practice objectives will be primarily stroke technique improvement and learning starts and turns.
- There will be some endurance training and swimmers may swim up to1,000 meters during practice.
- Practice schedule is Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 6:30 PM for 55 minutes. We conduct this practice at the mid-competitive swimming level.
- Swimmers must have the ability to swim freestyle (crawl stroke) with bilateral rhythmic breathing for 100 meters.
- They must successfully demonstrate the ability to swim 50 meters of fully coordinated backstroke with a flutter kick and 50 meters of fully coordinated breaststroke with a legal kick.
- Swimmers should be able to swim 25 meters of butterfly.
- Practice objectives will continue to be stroke technique improvements, starts and turns, with additional emphasis placed on endurance and basic training principles.
- Swimmers may swim an average of 1,500 meters during practice.
- Swim fins and water bottles are required.
- Practice schedule is Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 7:35 PM for 55 minutes.
- We conduct this practice at the Junior and Prep (upper-mid) competitive swimming level.
- Swimmers must successfully demonstrate the ability to swim 200 meters of freestyle (crawl stroke), 100 meters of backstroke, and breaststroke.
- They should be able to swim butterfly effectively for at least 50 meters.
- All swimmers must be able to perform their strokes and turns legally.
- Practice objectives will continue to be stroke technique improvements, starts and turns, with additional emphasis placed on improving strength and conditioning.
- Swimmers may swim an average of 2,200 meters during practice.
- Swim fins and water bottles are required.
Practice schedule is Monday and Wednesday at 5:30. This level is for the swimmer with skills that need more individual attention before joining Cruisers' 1 (must be able to swim freestyle and backstroke length of pool). All swimmers will be tested to determine if additional swim lessons are needed.
Cancellation or Closures
Closed Classes - We reserve the right to close programs to prevent overcrowding classes beyond our coach availability.
Weather - The pool will close during thunderstorms (30 minutes from the last clap of thunder and 30 minutes after the last flash of lightning).
10-week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday)
Members/RWFC Employees: $125.00
Children will receive the member discount according to the parents/legal guardians only. Proof of membership will be required at the time of registration.For more information, contact Carmen Fonville at 875-7525 ext. 305.