Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) Degree
The Surgical Technologist is an operating room specialist who performs specific duties for pre-, intra-, and postoperative case management. Surgical Technologists must be knowledgeable in asepsis and sterile technique, and must be able to properly care for instrumentation, equipment, and supplies. Education includes the following: basic sciences: microbiology, anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology, and surgical pharmacology. Additionally this education includes: surgical procedures, case management, wound care and closure, surgical patient care, and safety.
Program at a Glance
- Approximately 18 months
- Hours vary Monday through Friday, 7 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Occasional evening & weekend hours may be required
- College prerequisites required
- Graduation from an accredited high school with a recommended overall grade point average of 2.0; or a GED certificate.
- Anatomy & Physiology with Lab, English Composition, and College Math requirements must be completed before an application can be submitted; all prerequisites must be completed prior to beginning the program.
- Cumulative college-level GPA of 3.0 or better is recommended due to the competitive nature of admissions.
- Preadmission entrance test.
- Must be able to meet essential requirements of the program.
- Official TOEFL results if English is your second language. Minimum score of 550 (paper) or 79 (Internet-based).
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Documentation of previous health care experience (including volunteer hours) is recommended.
- Current or past employees of Riverside Health System will be evaluated for job performance and eligibility for rehire.
- All students must reside in Virginia during enrollment at the College.
Admission is on a competitive basis. Riverside College of Health Careers reserves the right to select those applicants who are deemed best qualified for both the program of study and potential employment by Riverside Health System.
All courses must be completed with grades of "C" or above. All items marked with ** must be completed prior to application submission. All prerequisites must be completed before beginning the program.
- Anatomy and Physiology with Lab - 4 credits **
- English Composition - 3 credits **
- College Math (100-level or higher) - 3 credits **
- General, Introductory, or Developmental Psychology - 3 credits
- Medical Terminology - 2 credits
The following cases are required for graduation from the Surgical Technology Program:
Surgical Case Requirements
The Surgical Technology Program is:
- Accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) in collaboration with the Accreditation Review Council on Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (ARC/STSA).
- Accredited by the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES)
ARC/STSA Required Consumer Information
Outcomes Assessment Examination Summary
Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES)
Riverside College of Health Careers is certified by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV).
The information contained in this website is informational only, and not intended to be contractual in nature. We reserve the right to change or alter any statements herein without prior notice.