A Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) is an essential partner in the treatment of patients with movement impairments related to injury or illness as well as preventative wellness programs.
Under the direction of a licensed Physical Therapist, the PTA may provide therapies with the goal of improving mobility, relieving pain, and/or the prevention of further injury. Physical Therapist Assistants enjoy the ability to work in a variety of practice settings including: hospitals, private practices, nursing homes, rehabilitation centers, schools, and out-patient settings. Graduates of the program are eligible to take a national examination from the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT) to become a licensed Physical Therapist Assistant. Prospective Physical Therapist Assistant students with prior criminal offenses are urged to contact the Virginia Board of Physical Therapy to verify eligibility for licensure and employment in Virginia.
Riverside is proud to offer:
- Program leading to an Associates of Applied Science Degree in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Full-time Day option consisting of four 16-week semesters and one 4-week summer semester in addition to specified College-level prerequisite preadmission courses-occasional evening and weekend hours may be required
- Theoretical instruction integrated with laboratory simulations and clinical experience
- Hands-on clinical experience in our modern medical center and a variety of affiliated clinical sites
- Financial aid for students who qualify
- Career Planning
Prerequisite College Courses/Credits
- Anatomy and Physiology with Lab - 4 Credits*
- English Composition - 3 Credits*
- College Math (any 100-level or higher) - 3 Credits*
- Psychology: Gen, Intro, or Developmental - 3 Credits
- Medical Terminology - 2 Credits
Preadmission Testing Requirements
Suggested Score: 61.4%
- The applicant must be a graduate of an accredited high school with a GPA of 2.0 or higher or have earned a high school equivalency (GED) certificate.
- Preadmission testing required.
- Documentation of previous healthcare experience (including volunteer hours) is recommended.
Physical Therapist Assistant
- General Education Prerequisites: 15 credit hours
- RCHC Program Hours - Theory: 38.5 credit hours
- RCHC Program Hours - Lab: 11 credit hours
- RCHC Program Hours - Clinical: 15.5 credit hours
PROGRAM ACCREDITED BY:
- The Physical Therapist Assistant Program at Riverside College of Health Careers is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE). If needing to contact the program/institution directly, please call 757-240-2485 or email Charlene Jensen.
- In response to federal regulation 34CFR 668.43, the program has determined that its curriculum meets the state educational requirements for licensure or certification in all states, the District of Colombia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands secondary to its accreditation by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), based on the following:
- CAPTE accreditation of a physical therapist or physical therapist assistant program satisfies state educational requirements in all states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Thus, students graduating from CAPTE-accredited physical therapist and physical therapist assistant education programs are eligible to take the National Physical Therapy Examination and apply for licensure in all states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. For more information regarding state qualifications and licensure requirements, refer to the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy website at www.fsbpt.org.
Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE)
1111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, VA 22314
- Graduates of the program are eligible to sit for the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE) by the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT) to become licensed to practice as a Physical Therapist Assistant. Application for the exam is the responsibility of the student and involves additional fees charged by the FSBPT. Additional information regarding the PTA exam may be obtained from:
Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT)
124 West Street South
Alexandria, VA 22314
- To practice as a Physical Therapist Assistant in the State of Virginia, individuals must apply for a licensure from the Virginia Board of Physical Therapy (VBOPT) . Application for licensure is the responsibility of the student and involves additional fees charged by VBOPT. Additional information regarding PTA licensure may be obtained from:
Department of Health Professions Board of Physical Therapy Perimeter Center
9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 300
Henrico, Virginia 23233-1463
- Certified by the State Council of Higher Education (SCHEV) to operate in Virginia.
101 N. 14th Street
James Monroe Building
Richmond, VA 23219
- Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES)
7777 Leesburg Pike, Suite 314
N. Falls Church, VA 22043
RIVERSIDE REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER ACCREDITED BY
- DNV GL - Healthcare
400 Techne Center Drive Suite 100
Milford, OH 45150
Tuition Breakdown for Physical Therapist Assistant Program
- $350 per GEN/HLT credit
- $430 per PTA credit
Total Tuition: $27,070
Other Associated Costs
- Book Estimate: $1,419
- Uniform & Shoe Estimate: $150
- Supplies Estimate: $140
- Credentialing Estimate: $570
Physical Therapist Assistant Clinical Affiliations