Admission is on a competitive basis. The College reserves the right to select applicants who are deemed best qualified for the program of study and potential employment by Riverside Health System.
Paper application forms and/or additional information requests should be addressed to: Riverside College of Health Careers, 316 Main Street, Newport News, VA 23601. A completed application, non-refundable applicant processing fee, and transcripts must be submitted as a packet. These are accepted on a continual basis until the published application deadline. Deadlines may be extended until class space is filled with qualified applicants.
Preadmission testing is required for entrance and disability accommodations may be provided. Applicants may take the ATI TEAS test twice in each application cycle, not to exceed three (3) tests total. Retakes are at the discretion of the Admissions Officer. However, applicants can take the test at an approved testing center.
All applicants must be 18 years of age prior to program start date and all students must reside in Virginia during program enrollment. Prospective students must abide by the following admission criteria to be admitted to the program:
- Completed application packet submitted no later than the published application deadline.
- Ability to meet essential program requirements and satisfactory preadmission test results.
- Satisfactory criminal check and urine drug screen.
- Previous employment (Current or past employees of Riverside Health System will be evaluated for job performance and eligibility for rehire. Adverse references from previous employers will be evaluated in the admission process and may result in non-acceptance to the program. Riverside Health System employees (in good standing) are awarded additional points toward admission).
- Official High School transcript or GED certificate (The applicant must be a graduate of an accredited high school or have earned a high school equivalency (GED) certificate with a HS GPA of 2.0. Evidence such as a high school transcript or signed attestation of graduation must include the name of the high school attended city, state, graduation year and that the high school or program was approved by the applicable governing or state authority).
- Official College transcripts from all schools attended regardless of prerequisite completed courses.
- Immigration or citizenship documentation is required if applicant is not a U.S. citizen by birth (The College is not Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) certified and cannot accept international students on an F-1 or M-1 visa).
- If English is applicant’s 2nd language, a TOEFL score of 550 (paper) or 79 (internet based) is required (Test must have been completed within the last 2 years).
Items required prior to enrollment
- Tuition Deposit (deducted from first semester tuition)
- Student Information Sheet
- Background screening processed through specified service provider*
- Drug testing processed through specified service provider*
- Immunization and Medical Records management through specified service provider*
- CPR certification. Only the American Heart Association BLS for the Healthcare Provider will be accepted. (Not applicable to Nurse Aide Program.)*
- Student Uniforms from a specified service provider (Not applicable to the Nurse Aide and RN-to-BSN Programs)*
Essential Program Requirements
The following are Essential Program Requirements for students enrolled at Riverside College of Health Careers. The ability to meet all of these requirements, with or without accommodation, is necessary to be able to demonstrate clinical competency and to meet program outcomes required for graduation.
- Applicant Processing Fee - $100.00 (fee is non-refundable and due upon application submission). Current Riverside employees receive a 25% discount off this fee!
- Application Conversion Fee - $25.00 (applicable if changing programs after initial application).
- ATI TEAS Test Fee Estimate* - $62.00
Accepted Student Fees
- Tuition Deposit - $125 (non-refundable; credited towards first semester tuition)
- Student Resource Fee - $100.00 (annual)
- RN-to-BSN Student Technology Fee - $100 (per semester)
- Background Screening, Drug Testing, Immunization & Medical Records Management Estimate* - $121.00
- CPR Course Estimate* - $65.00 (Only the American Heart Association BLS for the Healthcare Provider will be accepted)
Audit/Transfer Student Fees
- Audit/Review Course - $50.00 per credit (see policy for details regarding course eligibility).
- Transfer Evaluation Fee - $100.00 (fee is non-refundable; waived for current or former military members).
*Fees and expenses charged by an external service provider are the responsibility of the applicant/student and are not covered in the College’s applicant processing fee or tuition
Tuition and fees are payable in full on or before the first day of each semester with the following exceptions:
- the student has made prior arrangements with Student Financial Services.
- the student is awaiting receipt of an award (i.e., scholarships, grants, loans, military tuition assistance, or other authorized financial assistance). Proof of award is necessary.
Students will not be permitted to attend classes if full payment is not received. Payment in full of outstanding financial obligations is a prerequisite to registration each semester. Payment is accepted by check, credit card, or money order only. No cash payments are accepted. A $30.00 charge will be assessed for returned checks. After one returned check, checks will no longer be accepted from the student.
Payments made within sixty days of program completion/graduation must be made by money order, credit card, or cashier’s check only. Personal checks will not be accepted. Unpaid balances will be sent to Riverside Health System’s collection department if not paid within 30 days.
Riverside reserves the right to make changes in tuition and other fees as deemed necessary. Incremental tuition increases are generally made at the beginning of each Division’s (Day or Evening/Weekend) Fall semester.
Financial Aid and Scholarships
The responsibility for meeting a student’s educational expenses rests with the student and their family. The College’s Financial Aid staff assists students in finding supplemental resources to meet College expenses. When a need and eligibility have been established through the financial aid process, financial aid may be offered through grants, scholarships, and/or loans.
Federal Grant and Loan Options
- Federal Pell Grant Program
- Federal Direct Loan Program
- Federal Direct Loan Plus Program
- Plus Loan
- The College's FAFSA code is 014108
Other Assistance Options
Net Price Calculator
This calculator is intended to provide estimated net price information (defined as estimated cost of attendance - including tuition and required fees, books and supplies, room and board (meals), and other related expenses - minus estimated grant and scholarship aid) to current and prospective students and their families based on what similar students paid in a previous year. Visit the Net Price Calculator.
Financial Aid Code of Conduct
The Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) requires educational institutions to develop and comply with a code of conduct that prohibits conflicts of interest for financial aid personnel [HEOA§ 487(a) (25)]. Any Riverside College of Health Careers (RCHC) financial aid officer or employee who has responsibilities with respect to student educational loans must comply with this code of conduct. The following provisions bring RCHC into compliance with the federal law [HEOA§ 487(e)]. Read more.
Full-time: ≥ 12 semester hour credits per semester
3/4 time: ≥ 9 - <12 semester hour credits per semester
1/2 time: ≥ 6 - <9 semester hour credits per semester
Less than 1/2 time: < 6 semester hour credits per semester