Due to COVID-19 restrictions with clinical placement, we are temporarily unable to accept applications for the Nurse Aide program at the College. We are offering an “Earn-and-Learn” program with Riverside Health System.
If you are interested in participating in the RHS Nurse Aide Program, please visit the RHS Careers page. Search “hospitality” and the available programs will be listed by the location you will be working at.
If you have any questions regarding the program please contact the Talent Acquisition team at 757-534-5627.
Working under the direct supervision of a licensed nurse, the nurse aide provides quality nursing care to patients, residents, clients, and customers of all ages in a variety of settings including private homes, assisted living, hospice, hospitals, and community-based long-term care facilities. As an integral part of the healthcare team, the nurse aide performs a variety of functions including, but not limited to: bedside care, vital signs assessment, feeding residents and recording their food and liquid intake, helping with medical procedures, and assisting residents to maintain as much independence as possible. Nurse aides must be respectful and compassionate and enjoy helping others as they interact with residents on a regular basis, getting to know them personally, and building strong relationships with them and their families. Please review these instructions prior to submitting an application. View our Nursing Program Philosophy.
Riverside is proud to offer:
- Programs leading to a Nurse Aide Certificate and eligibility for certification as a Certified Nurse Aide
- Full-time Day option consisting of 6 weeks available on the Newport News campus; occasional evening or weekend hours may be required
- Full-time Evening/Weekend option consisting of 10 weeks - occasional daytime hours may be required
- Theoretical instruction integrated with laboratory simulations and clinical experience
- Hands-on clinical experience in our modern medical center and long-term care facilities
- Financial aid for students who qualify
- Associated with Riverside Health System career planning services for current students and alumni
Prerequisite College Courses/Credits
Preadmission Testing Requirements
- The applicant must be a graduate of an accredited high school with a GPA of 2.0 or higher or have earned a high school equivalency (GED) certificate.
- High School Seniors may be eligible to apply.**
- Day Division
- Approximately 6 weeks
- Hours vary Monday through Friday, 6:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Occasional evening & weekend hours may be required
- Evening/Weekend Division
- Approximately 10 weeks
- Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, 5 - 10 p.m
- Every other weekend, Saturday and Sunday, hours vary 6:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Occasional daytime hours may be required during the week
Nurse Aide Education
- Academic Instructional: 72 Hours
- Clinical Skills Lab Instructional: 42 Hours
- Clinical Experience: 50 Hours
Nurse Aide Capstone
- Academic Instructional: 4 Hours
- Clinical Skills Lab Instructional: 6 Hours
PROGRAM APPROVED BY:
- Virginia Board of Nursing
9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 300 Henrico, VA 23233-1463
- Certified by the State Council of Higher Education (SCHEV) to operate in Virginia.
101 N. 14th Street, James Monroe Building Richmond, VA 23219
- Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES)
7777 Leesburg Pike, Suite 314 N. Falls Church, VA 22043
RIVERSIDE REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER ACCREDITED BY:
- DNV GL - Healthcare
400 Techne Center Drive Suite 100
Milford, OH 4515, www.dnvglhealthcare.com
Total Tuition: $700
Other Associated Costs
- Book Estimate: $40 (optional)
- Uniform & Shoe Estimate: $60
- Credentialing Estimate: $98