Medical Assistants are multi-skilled health professionals who perform a wide range of roles in physician's offices and other health care settings under the supervision of a licensed medical professional, such as a physician, nurse practitioner, or physician assistant. Duties may include preparing patients for examinations; assisting with examinations, various procedures, and treatments; performing tests; educating patients; updating and managing patient medical records' performing administrative tasks; and entering orders through electronic health records, including prescriptions and diagnostic testing. Medical Assistants help patients navigate the health care system, advocate for themselves, and comply with orders.
Program at a Glance
- Approximately 11 months
- Hours vary Monday through Friday, 7 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Occasional evening & weekend hours may be required
Program at a Glance
- Approximately 15 months
- Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, 5 p.m.-10 p.m.
- Every other weekend, Saturday and Sunday, hours vary 7 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Occasional daytime hours may be required during the week
- Graduation from an accredited high school with a required overall grade point average of 2.0 or better; or a GED certificate. (High School Seniors, graduating no later than June, are eligible to apply for summer or fall programs if their GPA is 2.0 or higher at time of application and a positive recommendation from their Guidance Counselor has been provided).
- Satisfactory score on the preadmission entrance test.
- Must be able to meet essential requirements of the program.
- Official TOEFL results if English is your second language. Minimum score of 550 (paper-based) or 79 (Internet-based).
- Applicants who are not U.S. citizens by birth must provide immigration or citizenship documentation.
- Documentation of previous health care experience (including volunteer hours) is recommended.
- Current or past employees of Riverside Health System will be evaluated for job performance and eligibility for rehire.
Admission is on a competitive basis. Riverside College of Health Careers reserves the right to select those applicants who are deemed best qualified for both the program of study and potential employment by Riverside Health System.
The Medical Assistant Program is accredited by the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES).
Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES)
Riverside College of Health Careers is certified by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV).
The information contained in this website is informational only, and not intended to be contractual in nature. We reserve the right to change or alter any statements herein without prior notice.