Riverside Regional Medical Center Transitional Year Residency Program prepares residents for entry into categorical residencies with a broad understanding of multiple disciplines. It is also established to serve that same purpose for students who have finished medical school and still have not yet made a choice of specialties, or for those who will enter other aspects of medicine, e.g., public health, research, or the military as general medical officers. It is not intended as a terminal degree program for general practice. Our graduates have gone on to careers in anesthesiology, dermatology, emergency medicine, ophthalmology, neurology, pathology, physical medicine and rehabilitation, radiology and radiation oncology.
CRITERIA FOR TRANSITIONAL YEAR MATCH
You must submit your application through ERAS and participate in the MATCH. Applications are accepted through Jan. 1.
A completed application consists of:
- CAF (Common Application Form)
- Personal Statement
- CV (Curriculum Vitae)
- Medical School Transcript
- Dean's Letter
- USMLE or COMLEX Step I and Step II Board Scores (There is no minimum score requirement, however you must have passed each section by your first attempt.)
- Three (3) medical letters of recommendation written within the past year by physicians you have worked with clinically.
- You do not need a current ECFMG certificate in order to apply or be interviewed. However, a current ECFMG certificate must be supplied by the time the rank list is submitted.
- You must have completed two (2) one-month U.S. clinical rotations.
- There is no cut-off date for medical school graduation, but there is a two (2) year cut-off date for completion of medical training (i.e., observership, internship, externship) or you have to be actively involved in medicine within the past two years (i.e., clinically, military, observership, internship, residency, externship.)
Be aware that you will need a social security number in order to receive your Virginia intern/ resident medical license to start residency.
We do not offer observerships or externships at Riverside.
The Transitional Residency is located at Riverside Regional Medical Center. For more information contact Krista Booth, TY Residency Manager at 757-594-3945 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your interest in Riverside Transitional Year Residency.