Electronic Medical Records
Riverside OB/GYN Residency is committed to training residents to use all tools at their disposal to take the very best care of their patients. The rapidly burgeoning medical knowledge base mandates that obstetricians/gynecologists utilize information systems that not only bring the latest evidence-based knowledge to the physician at the point of care, but also manages the patients' information to improve care.
To meet these goals, we have concentrated on four main informatics areas:
- Electronic medical record
- Personal Digital Assistants
- On-line textbooks/databases
- Internet resources
Riverside was one of the first OB/GYN residencies in the country with an electronic medical record. We recently updated to EPIC for both our outpatient office and for the in-house hospital records.
Specific features of the program and our set-up include:
- Note generation through typing, template (point-and-click), and/or dictation.
- Full search capabilities and automated (batch) letter generation.
- Computers in examination rooms.
- Protocols identifying needed immunizations, treatments, or studies by age, sex, or diagnosis.
- "Pop-up" reminders for focused improvement efforts.
- Reference laboratory interface for automated input.
- Interface with Riverside Regional Medical Center information system.
- Document (consult letters, EKGs, other paper forms) scanning/retrieval system.
- Wireless prescription faxing and electronic prescriptions.
- Electronic referrals.
- Remote access (from hospital, home, or Internet)
We have multiple textbooks, databases, calculators, and other clinical resources available for physician use on our intranet. Some of them are HTML resources, but the textbooks actually run through the intranet using a web-based application called Nfuse. We run the textbook on the server, but you use it through the intranet. You can access these resources from home, as well, once you're logged onto the Riverside system.
Residents have full internet access on their desktops in the center, as well as in the conference room, at the Health Sciences Library and at various other locations throughout the medical center. To facilitate finding the medical resources you need, we have developed a "portal" on our intranet that easily organizes useful sites and directs you to them on the internet.
All residents receive a Riverside e-mail account that is used as our primary means of information dissemination.
All residents have access to riverside's online website, riversideonline.com. From this site they can reach the hospital information system, Benefits, resources,
and the Hospital paging system, SmartWeb.