Your Personal Health Team - Preparing for your appointment
It's important to provide timely pertinent health information to the members of your Personal Health Team each time you have an appointment. To make the most of your visit:
- Bring a list of your health questions. Put the questions that are most important to you at the top of the list.
- Bring a list of other health care providers you have visited. Write down their names, addresses, phone numbers, and the reasons you visited them.
- Bring all your medicines, in their original containers, to your appointment. Be sure to include prescription, over-the-counter, natural, and herbal medicines and vitamins.
- Bring your insurance card or other insurance information with you to your appointment.
- If you wish, ask a family member or trusted friend to come to your appointment with you.
- Use your list of questions. Ask your most important questions first. Even if you cannot get all of your answers on the first visit, having a list will help you keep track of the answers.
- Talk with your team about what health issue to work on first.
- Be sure you understand what you need to do before you leave the office.
- Use your own words to repeat back the things you've discussed with your team. This way, both you and your team will know the information is clearly understood.
The health care system can be confusing. Many people visit many doctors and feel lost in the system. Your Personal Health Team will listen to your questions and will help you find your way.