Plain Language Summary of Riverside Health System Financial Assistance Policy
We understand that health care costs are often unexpected. The costs may be more than you can afford. Riverside is a not-for-profit company with a mission to provide excellent care to all citizens, without regard for ability to pay.
Assistance with Bills for Emergency and Medically Necessary Care
Our Financial Assistance Policy is for patients who receive emergency and medically necessary services from Riverside Health System and may not be able to pay for that care. If you qualify for help with your bill, you will pay the same or less for emergency or medically necessary care than amounts usually billed to patients having insurance under Medicare.
Eligible care includes:
- Emergency medical services provided in an emergency room
- Services for a condition that could get much worse if it is not treated promptly
- Non-elective services provided somewhere other than an emergency room, for a condition that could be life-threatening, and
- Medically necessary services as defined by Medicare (services or items reasonable and necessary for the diagnosis or treatment of illness or injury)
- Care for patients who are referred from a Free Health Clinic to the hospital for diagnostics. These patients are eligible for financial assistance if they are not covered by Medicare, Medicaid or other payment sources.
Elective and non-essential procedures are not eligible:
Our Financial Assistance Policy does not cover medical procedures that are "elective." These services are not required for your well-being. They do not fall into the category of emergency and medically necessary care. We ask patients to pay the cost of these services in advance if they do not have insurance.
Riverside facilities covered under the Financial Assistance Policy include:
- Riverside Medical Group, Riverside Regional Medical Center, Riverside Tappahannock Hospital, Riverside Walter Reed Hospital, Riverside Shore Memorial Hospital, Riverside Doctors' Hospital Williamsburg, Riverside Rehabilitation Institute, Riverside Behavioral Health Center, Hampton Roads Specialty Hospital and all locations that operate as a "department of" one of the above listed acute care facilities.
Facilities or services NOT covered under the Riverside Financial Assistance Policy:
- Contracted physician groups such as Radiologists, Anesthesiologists and Pathologists
- M.D. Express locations
You can ask for help with your bill at any time during your visit or billing process. We will figure out what you will owe by looking at income or other resources. You may qualify for assistance with all or part of your bill.
Paperwork: You must provide information timely about your health benefits, income, assets, and any other paperwork that will help to see if you qualify. Paperwork might be bank statements, income tax forms, check stubs, or other information. We may ask you to fill out the IRS Form 4506T. You can find this IRS form at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf.
To receive a 100 percent discount (pay nothing on your bill), you must meet these guidelines:
- Scheduled for or have received services at a Riverside acute or Riverside Medical Group facility.
- Meet one of the following:
a. Are a U.S. citizen;or
b. Carry a United States Permanent Resident Card (USCIS Form I-551);or
c. Live within 50 miles of one of the Riverside locations listed below
- Have family incomes at or below 300 percent of the Federal Poverty Level. You can see Federal Poverty Level at: https://aspe.hhs.gov/basic-report/computations-2016-poverty-guidelines.
Uninsured Patients Not Qualifying for Financial Assistance:
Patients who don't have insurance and don't meet the financial assistance criteria above can receive a 50 percent discount on billed charges.
Where can I learn more about the Financial Assistance Policy?
Please select from the following to view the policies in English and Spanish. We will also help you with translation to other languages if needed.
If you have other questions or want information by mail, please call our Customer Service Center:
- Riverside Health System -757-989-8830; option 3
- Riverside Medical Group -757-534-6970
Riverside Health System
608 Denbigh Blvd. Ste. 500A
Newport News, VA 23608