245 Chesapeake Avenue
Newport News, VA 23607
Fax: (757) 928-8271
Map & Directions >
Hampton Roads Specialty Hospital is a 25-bed long-term acute care hospital located on the 4th floor of Riverside Rehabilitation Institute. This "hospital within a hospital" opened in late 2005 to address the needs of medically complex patients requiring an average hospitalization of 25 days.
We welcome patient referrals from physicians throughout the area as well as inquiries from physicians who want to join our Medical Staff.
Examples of long-term acute care diagnoses include:
- Pulmonary edema and respiratory failure
- Respiratory system diagnosis w/ventilator support
- Cardiac diseases
- Wound debridement and skin graft except hand, for musculoskeletal and connective tissue disease
- Septicemia >17
- Neuromuscular diseases
- O.R. procedure for infections and parasitic diseases
- Gastrointestinal diseases
- Multisystem failure
- Postoperative & post-traumatic infections
- Renal disease
1. Identify a patient who would benefit from admission to Hampton Roads Specialty Hospital.
2. Write an order for pre-admission assessment.
3. Call the Hampton Roads Specialty Hospital referral line at (757) 928-8440 (594-3699 within Riverside Regional Medical Center) and leave a message that includes the patient's name, location and point of contact. We also offer an online Referral Form option. Our fax number for referrals is (757) 928-8225 (594-4041 within Riverside Regional Medical Center).
4. Our Care Coordinators will perform a pre-admission assessment.
5. Care Coordinator notifies attending physician of the assessment results.
6. Patients who meet admission criteria are discharged from the hospital(s) in which they are currently being treated and then admitted to Hampton Roads Specialty Hospital.
7. Physician or Medical Staff at Hampton Roads Specialty Hospital assesses patient and oversees care.
Patient Services Available
- Total parenteral nutrition
- IV therapy
- Respiratory therapy
- Ventilator management/weaning
- Wound care
- Medication management
- Pain management
- Oncology management
- Complicated post-operative care
- Management of acute medical exacerbation
For services not directly provided by Hampton Roads Specialty Hospital, the hospital will contract with Riverside Health System and other vendors to provide these services.
Unlike care models in traditional short stay acute care hospitals, Hampton Roads Specialty Hospital coordinates care through interdisciplinary teams that meet weekly.
Our longer lengths of stay allow our nurses an ancillary staff to interact with patients and their families for greater lengths of time, thereby getting to know them better. Comfortable nurse-to-patient ratios allow our nurses to deliver high quality care with a personal touch.
The hospital's small size fosters an elite team atmosphere that focuses on quality patient outcomes.
Our physicians follow the acute inpatient billing process when they bill patients admitted to Hampton Roads Specialty Hospital. Hospital staff will screen patients and verify insurance before making it available for physician billing. Every physician visit must have supporting documentation in the medical record.