Celebrate life. We can help.
Riverside Hospice believes that when time is of the essence, quality of life is essential. Our trained Hospice care providers can help reduce the distraction of managing pain or medications so you can focus on what's important: time together. In the comfort of home, you and your loved ones will receive physical, emotional, social and spiritual care during your journey.
Family members, care givers and significant others play a vital role in the Hospice process, and Riverside Hospice offers just as much care and support to these individuals as to the patient. Throughout the course of your loved one's illness, Hospice provides resources to help you manage your role as a care giver and the physical and emotional effects it can take on your life. Riverside Hospice surrounds grieving families and loved ones with compassion and understanding. Ongoing grief and bereavement counseling services are available at many Hospice locations, and we offer support groups throughout the area. Click here to view our brochure.
Help and support 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Nursing services
- Nurses and aides
- Medical social workers
- Volunteers, specially trained in Hospice care and support
- Physical, occupational and speech therapy
- Nutritional counseling
- Arrangements for equipment and/or medical supplies
- Spiritual support/chaplain services
- Bereavement counseling
- Grief counseling
Admission to the Hospice program
Patients benefiting most from Hospice care:
- have been diagnosed with a terminal illness and have a life expectancy of six months or less
- desire to remain at home while receiving care
- have decided to focus on quality of life with pain and symptom management
- are referred by their physician
- live within the service area
Payment for Hospice care
Riverside Hospice does not refuse care to a patient because of the inability to pay. Hospice Care is covered under most private insurances through the patient's hospice or home health benefits plan. Your insurance carrier or case manager should be able to explain your specific benefits. Medicare, Medicaid and Champus also provide special Hospice benefits.
A course for grief and loss
Riverside Hospice understands the profound journey of losing a loved one. We offer a 7-week bereavement group study based on Alan Wolfelt's successful grief/loss guide, "Understanding Your Grief." The course is designed for adults who have lost a loved one during the previous three months to a year. The group meets in the Riverside Hospice office complex in Newport News. To begin your steps to healing, call 888-594-5600.
Ongoing grief and loss support
Riverside Hospice provides ongoing grief support as individuals and families work through the loss of a loved one. We encourage participants to share experiences as they wish. Some of the most effective healing comes when people are able to relate to others in a similar situation. To learn more about joining a grief support group, call 888-594-5600 or view our list of support groups.
We offer free Hospice volunteer training programs from time to time in Newport News. For more information call Kim Parker at 757-594-2745.
Riverside Hospice Fund
We're sincerely grateful to the many family members and friends who have chosen to honor or memorialize loved ones and friends by making donations to the Riverside Hospice Fund. This fund supports patient programs, training initiatives and the "little extras" for our patients that might otherwise not be possible. For more information about the fund please call 757-594-2745 or contact the Riverside Health System Foundation.
Legacy of Love event
Learn more about this wonderful holiday event to support the Riverside Hospice Fund.
- National Hospice & Palliative Care Organization ( NHPCO)
- Virginia Hospice Association
- National Association of Homecare
- Hospice Association of America
- Riverside Hospice: Serving the Peninsula communities, 757-594-2745
- Riverside Walter Reed Hospice: Serving the Middle Peninsula, 804-693-1111
- Riverside Tappahannock Hospice: Serving the Northern Neck area, 804-443-6130