Dietician's Tip: The reduced-sodium tomato soup in this recipe cuts out about 275 milligrams of sodium per serving. Using extra-lean ground beef and thoroughly draining off the fat after cooking reduces the fat content.
- 1 pound ground beef (90 percent lean)
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 cans (10.75 ounces each) reduced-sodium tomato soup (not diluted)
- 6 whole-wheat hamburger buns
In a nonstick frying pan, cook the ground beef, pepper and onion until the meat is browned and the vegetables are tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Drain well and return the mixture to the frying pan. Add the tomato soup to the ground beef mixture and stir well. Simmer for at least 10 minutes.
To serve, place 2/3 cup of the meat mixture on each bun. Serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving
Serving size: 1 sandwich
- Calories 251
- Cholesterol 49 mg
- Monounsaturated fat 4 g
- Saturated fat 3 g
- Sodium 203 mg
- Total carbohydrate 28 g
- Dietary fiber 4 g
- Protein 19 g
- Serving size 1 sandwich
- Total fat 9 g