Dietician's Tip: This chili uses roasted vegetables and turkey meat instead of ground beef for a full, hearty flavor.
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh garlic
- 1 pound chopped cooked turkey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 cups diced canned tomatoes, no-salt-added variety
- 4 cups canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
Preheat the oven to 475 F. Spray a glass baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange the zucchini in a single layer in the baking dish. Roast for 8 to 10 minutes until slightly tender and lightly browned.
While the zucchini is roasting, add the oil and chopped onions to a dutch oven or soup pot. Saute over low heat until the onions are browned. Add the celery and peppers and continue to saute. Add garlic, turkey, chili powder and cumin seed. Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes, kidney beans, vegetable broth, brown sugar and the roasted zucchini. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Ladle into warmed individual bowls. Serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving
Serving size: About 1 1/2 cups
- Calories 252
- Cholesterol 57 mg
- Monounsaturated fat 2 g
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Sodium 178 mg
- Total carbohydrate 28 g
- Dietary fiber 8 g
- Protein 26 g
- Serving size About 1 1/2 cups
- Total fat 4 g