Dietician's Tip: The garlic-rubbed grilled chicken is a perfect complement to the tangy dressing on this salad. If you prefer, grill the chicken in advance, cut into strips and refrigerate up to several days.
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped celery
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
For the salad:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, each 4 ounces
- 2 garlic cloves
- 8 cups leaf lettuce, washed and dried
- 16 large ripe (black) olives
- 2 navel oranges, peeled and sliced
To make the dressing, in a small bowl combine the vinegar, garlic, olive oil, onion, celery and pepper. Stir to mix evenly. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
Prepare a hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill or broiler. Away from the heat source, lightly coat the grill rack or broiler pan with cooking spray. Position the cooking rack 4 to 6 inches from the heat source. Rub the chicken breasts with garlic, then discard the cloves. Grill or broil the chicken until browned and just cooked through, about 5 minutes each side. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes before slicing into strips.
Arrange 2 cups lettuce, 4 olives and 1/4 of the sliced oranges onto 4 plates. Top each plate with 1 chicken breast cut into strips and drizzle with dressing. Serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving
Serving size: 2 cups lettuce plus toppings
- Calories 237
- Cholesterol 83 mg
- Monounsaturated fat 5 g
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Sodium 199 mg
- Total carbohydrate 12 g
- Dietary fiber 3 g
- Protein 27 g
- Serving size 2 cups lettuce plus toppings
- Total fat 9 g