Dietician's Tip: Instant couscous may be prepared by pouring boiling water over it and letting it sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- 1 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1 cup zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Chopped fresh parsley, basil or oregano for garnish (optional)
Cook couscous according to preparation instructions on the package.
When couscous is cooked, fluff with fork. Mix in zucchini, bell pepper, onion, cumin and black pepper. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice. Pour over the couscous mixture and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate. Serve chilled. Garnish with fresh herbs.
Nutritional analysis per serving
Serving size: About 2/3 cup
- Calories 136
- Cholesterol Trace
- Monounsaturated fat 3 g
- Saturated fat 0.5 g
- Sodium 3 mg
- Total carbohydrate 21 g
- Dietary fiber 4 g
- Protein 4 g
- Serving size About 2/3 cup
- Total fat 4 g