Dietician's Tip: It's a good idea to wear rubber or plastic gloves when preparing hot peppers such as jalapenos because the oils can burn your eyes and skin. If you don't wear gloves, thoroughly wash your hands with soap and hot water after handling the peppers.
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 large tomatoes (or 2 cups canned, unsalted tomatoes)
- 4 cups canned unsalted kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder or to taste
- Water, as desired
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- Jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped, as desired* (*not included in analysis)
In a soup pot, add the ground beef and onion. Over medium heat saute until the meat is browned and the onion is translucent. Drain well.
Add the tomatoes, kidney beans, celery and chili powder to the ground beef mixture. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Uncover and add water to desired consistency. Stir in cornmeal. Cook at least 10 minutes more to allow the flavors to blend.
Ladle into warmed bowls and garnish with jalapeno peppers, if desired. Serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving
Serving size: About 1 1/2 cups
- Calories 225
- Cholesterol 39 mg
- Monounsaturated fat 4 g
- Saturated fat 4 g
- Sodium 260 mg
- Total carbohydrate 24 g
- Dietary fiber 8 g
- Protein 18 g
- Serving size About 1 1/2 cups
- Total fat 11 g