Dietician's Tip: Most packaged ground chicken includes the fatty skin in the mix. To get a leaner product, ask your butcher to grind boneless and skinless chicken breast.
- 1 cup minced yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed (or caraway, which has a milder flavor)
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
In a frying pan, saute onion and garlic in canola oil until browned. Transfer to a large bowl and mix together with cooked rice, ground chicken breast, and remaining ingredients. Refrigerator for 1 hour.
Divide mixture into 6 equal parts. Roll into sausage shape. Or if you prefer, you can pipe mixture into 6 sausage shapes. Place on sheet pan.
Roast in oven at 350 F for 5 to 10 minutes, until the internal temperature is 125 F. Then transfer to grill to finish cooking. The brats are not fully cooked until they reach an internal temperature of 165 F.
Nutritional analysis per serving
Serving size: 1 brat
- Calories 147
- Cholesterol 55 mg
- Monounsaturated fat 1 g
- Saturated fat 0.5 g
- Sodium 37 mg
- Total carbohydrate 12 g
- Dietary fiber 2 g
- Protein 18 g
- Serving size 1 brat
- Total fat 3 g