Dietician's Tip: Carrots are a good source of beta carotene and fiber.
- 10 carrots, scraped and sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose (plain) flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
In a large saucepan, heat the carrots, sugar and water. Cover and simmer until the carrots are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain the carrots, reserving some of the liquid. Set aside.
In a separate saucepan, whisk together flour, pepper, nutmeg and milk. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until the white sauce thickens.
In a blender or food processor, add the cooked carrots and white sauce. Puree until smooth. Add reserved liquid to desired consistency. Ladle into separate bowls and garnish each with 1 teaspoon parsley. Serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving
Serving size: About 1.5 cups
- Calories 140
- Cholesterol 3 mg
- Monounsaturated fat trace
- Saturated fat trace
- Sodium 164 mg
- Total carbohydrate 27 g
- Dietary fiber 3 g
- Protein 7 g
- Serving size About 1.5 cups
- Total fat trace