Dietician's Tip: Kale holds its texture well in cooking. Although any variety will work in this dish, curly, dark green dinosaur kale looks spectacular, especially alongside a mix of red, yellow and orange cherry tomatoes.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 pound kale, tough stems removed and leaves coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable stock or broth
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute until lightly golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the kale and vegetable stock. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook until the kale is wilted and some of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes and cook uncovered until the kale is tender, 5 to 7 minutes longer. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice, salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving
Serving size: About 1 1/2 cups
- Calories 70
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Monounsaturated fat 1 g
- Saturated fat 0.5 g
- Sodium 133 mg
- Total carbohydrate 9 g
- Dietary fiber 3 g
- Protein 4 g
- Serving size About 1 1/2 cups
- Total fat 2 g