Dietician's Tip: Grilling the vegetables intensifies their flavors. This recipe may be served warm or cold.
- 1 bulb garlic (about 8 cloves)
- 2 eggplants, sliced lengthwise, skin removed
- 1 red bell pepper, halved and seeded
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 4 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 2 rounds of whole-wheat pita or other flatbread
Spray cold grill with cooking spray. Heat one side of the grill to high. (Or move coals to one side of the grill.)
Slice top off garlic bulb, wrap in foil and place on cooler part of grill. Roast for 20 to 30 minutes. On hot part of grill, place eggplant slices and bell pepper. Grill for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
Squeeze roasted garlic out of bulb and place in food processor. Add grilled eggplant and red bell pepper. Add lemon juice, basil, olive oil and pepper. Pulse until smooth. Place dip in serving bowl.
Warm bread on grill for a few seconds on each side. Serve with dip.
Nutritional analysis per serving
Serving size: Half a pita and 2 tablespoons dip
- Calories 233
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Monounsaturated fat 2.5 g
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Sodium 150 mg
- Total carbohydrate 40 g
- Dietary fiber 12 g
- Protein 7 g
- Serving size Half a pita and 2 tablespoons dip
- Total fat 5 g