Dietician's Tip: Although only a side dish, this recipe is packed with nutrients. Asparagus is an excellent source of folate, and hazelnuts contain iron, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium.
- 1 pound asparagus, tough ends removed, then peeled if skin is thick
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped toasted hazelnuts (filberts)
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, plus extra for garnish
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
In a large pot fitted with a steamer basket, bring about 1 inch water to a boil. Add the asparagus, cover, and steam until tender-crisp, about 4 minutes. Remove from the pot.
In a large bowl, combine the asparagus, garlic, chopped parsley, hazelnuts, 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil and salt. Toss well to mix and coat.
Arrange the asparagus neatly on a serving platter and garnish with parsley sprigs and lemon zest. Serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving
Serving size: About 3/4 cup
- Calories 50
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Monounsaturated fat 2 g
- Saturated fat 0 g
- Sodium 148 mg
- Total carbohydrate 5 g
- Dietary fiber 3 g
- Protein 3 g
- Serving size About 3/4 cup
- Total fat 2 g