Store winter squashes in a cool, dry place. Many will keep for months — a great way to extend the local bounty.
- 4 cups diced winter squash, peeled and cut into half-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 4 cups cooked wild rice
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 small orange, peeled and segmented
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- Black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400 F.
Place squash in a roasting pan and toss with 1 teaspoon of oil. Roast for 40 minutes or until brown.
In a hot saute pan, brown onions with remaining oil. Add cranberries and saute for 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients and saute for 4 to 5 minutes or until heated thoroughly. Serve.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- Total carbohydrate: 29.1 g
- Dietary fiber: 3.3 g
- Sodium: 5.8 mg
- Saturated fat: 0.4 g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1 g
- Total fat: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Protein: 4.8 g
- Calories: 162