This is a wonderful meatless entree that pairs well with lightly steamed vegetables.
- 14 ounces firm tofu, drained
- 1 teaspoon peanut or sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 green onions, finely chopped (divided)
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
Slice the tofu crosswise into 4 one-inch slabs. Then cut each slab into two triangles (total of 8 pieces). Blot with paper towels.
Spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Heat pan on medium-high heat and add oil. When oil is hot, add tofu and fry over medium-high heat until golden. Turn and cook on the second side.
While the tofu is cooking, combine soy sauce, peanut butter, vinegar, brown sugar, pepper flakes, half of the onions and water in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth.
When tofu is lightly browned, add sauce to pan and cook until bubbling. Turn off the heat, scatter toasted sesame seeds and remaining green onions over the top and serve.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- Total carbohydrate: 9 g
- Dietary fiber: 1 g
- Sodium: 482 mg
- Saturated fat: 1 g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1 g
- Total fat: 7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Protein: 9 g
- Calories: 126