Put the fruit back in fruitcake with this reinvented recipe.
- 2 cups assorted chopped dried fruit, such as cherries, currants, dates or figs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple
- Zest and juice of 1 medium orange
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons real vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup milled flax (flaxseed flour)
- 1/2 cup oat flour (can make by putting rolled oats in a food processor)
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup crushed or chopped walnuts
In a medium bowl, combine dried fruit, applesauce, pineapple, fruit zests and juices, and vanilla. Let soak for 15 to 20 minutes.
In a large bowl, mix sugar, milled flax, oat flour, pastry flour, baking soda and baking powder. Pour fruit and liquid mixture into dry ingredients and stir to combine. Add egg and walnuts and stir to combine.
Pour mixture into a loaf pan lined with parchment (baking) paper and bake at 325 F for 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the fruitcake rest for 30 minutes before removing it from the pan. Serve.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- Total carbohydrate: 42 g
- Dietary fiber: 5 g
- Sodium: 75 mg
- Saturated fat: 0.5 g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.5 g
- Total fat: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 15 mg
- Protein: 4 g
- Calories: 229