This lower fat version of macaroni and cheese gets its creamy texture and full flavor from pureed vegetables.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped cauliflower
- 1/2 cup diced yellow squash
- 1/2 cup diced butternut squash
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons light soy milk
- 2 tablespoons wheat flour
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
- 6 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 12 ounces (dry weight) whole-wheat macaroni
Add oil to a large skillet and over medium-low heat slowly cook onion, celery, carrot, garlic, cauliflower and squash. Continue cooking until onions become translucent. Add broth and bring to boil.
Use a blender to puree in batches until completely smooth. Be careful with the hot vegetables and make sure to not overfill the blender. Return to heat and keep at simmer.
In a separate large skillet, combine soy milk and flour. Cook over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Add hot vegetable puree, whisking constantly with wire whip. Bring to simmer.
Add 2 ounces grated Parmesan and 6 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Turn off heat and stir until cheese is melted.
Cook macaroni according to directions on package. Drain and combine with sauce. Serve on warmed plates.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- Total carbohydrate: 51 g
- Dietary fiber: 7 g
- Sodium: 330 mg
- Saturated fat: 7 g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3 g
- Total fat: 12 g
- Cholesterol: 34 mg
- Protein: 17 g
- Calories: 380