This sweet spice tea bread has grated carrot mixed into the batter.
- 1 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika or cayenne
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups shredded carrots (about 4 carrots)
- 2/3 cup raisins
Preheat oven to 375 F. Sift or whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices in a large bowl.
In a separate bowl, mix eggs, sugar, honey, applesauce, olive oil and almond extract. Add carrots and raisins.
Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until combined, being careful not to overmix. Pour batter into a lightly greased 9-by-5-inch loaf pan and bake at 375 F for 45 to 60 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Cut into 1/2-inch slices.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- Total carbohydrate: 22 g
- Dietary fiber: 2 g
- Sodium: 150 mg
- Saturated fat: 0.5 g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.5 g
- Total fat: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 21 mg
- Protein: 3 g
- Calories: 136