Rinsing and draining canned beans removes approximately 40 percent of the sodium.
Serves 10 main-dish servings
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots or spring onions (approximately 2 shallots or several spring onions)
- 15-ounce can unsalted garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 15-ounce can unsalted dark kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup rice vinegar, according to your taste
Place rice and water in stockpot. Cover and cook over medium heat until rice is tender, about 45 to 50 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Chill 2 hours or longer.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
Serving size: About 3/4 cup
- Total carbohydrate: 36 g
- Dietary fiber: 5 g
- Sodium: 122 mg
- Saturated fat: 1 g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4 g
- Total fat: 7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Protein: 7 g
- Calories: 235
Last Updated: 2011-06-01
© 1998-2016 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER). All rights reserved.