Lemon zest is full of essential oils that contribute lively flavor and aroma to this recipe. To get the zest, grate the lemon on a hand-held grater.
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup skim milk, heated almost to boiling
- Egg substitute equivalent to 1 egg, or 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- Lemon zest
Combine water, gelatin and lemon juice in blender container. Process on low speed 1 to 2 minutes to soften gelatin.
Add hot milk, processing until gelatin is dissolved. Add egg substitute, sugar, vanilla and cheese to blender container. Process on high speed until smooth.
Pour into 9-inch pie plate or round flat dish. Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours. If you wish, top with grated lemon zest just before serving.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- Total carbohydrate: 9 g
- Dietary fiber: Trace
- Sodium: 252 mg
- Saturated fat: Trace
- Monounsaturated fat: Trace
- Total fat: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 3 mg
- Protein: 9 g
- Calories: 80