To make a complete and colorful meal, serve this tuna salad with a blend of cubed cantaloupe, red grapes and strawberry halves. For variety, top the salad with fresh dill or chives.
- 2 cups uncooked whole-wheat farfalle (bow tie pasta)
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) unsalted white tuna packed in water, drained
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 2/3 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat salad dressing
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper, if desired
- 4 cups fresh spinach
Fill a large pot 3/4 full with water and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente (tender), 10 to 12 minutes, or according to the package directions. Drain the pasta thoroughly and rinse under cold water.
In a large bowl, combine the cooked pasta, tuna, onions, peas, salad dressing and pepper. Toss to mix well. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 2 hours.
To serve, place 1 cup of spinach on individual chilled plates. Top each serving with 1/4 of the tuna salad and serve immediately.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- Total carbohydrate: 28 g
- Dietary fiber: 6 g
- Sodium: 467 mg
- Saturated fat: 1 g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2 g
- Total fat: 9 g
- Cholesterol: 28 mg
- Protein: 23 g
- Calories: 285