This salad has both a unique blend of flavors — spicy, sweet and sour — and textures — crispy, chewy and crunchy. It's also an excellent source of fiber and folate.
- 4 ounces uncooked whole-wheat spiral pasta
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 2 large fresh pears, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons roasted unsalted soy nuts
For the dressing
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary or 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
To make the dressing, add the rosemary, cinnamon, salt, balsamic vinegar and olive oil in a small bowl. Whisk thoroughly to blend.
Fill a large pot 3/4 full with water and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente (tender), 10 to 12 minutes, or according to the package directions. Drain the pasta thoroughly and rinse under cold water.
In large bowl, combine the cooked pasta, mixed greens, pears, water chestnuts and raisins. Whisk the dressing again briefly and add to the salad. Toss to coat evenly. Divide the salad onto individual plates and top with soy nuts. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- Total carbohydrate: 42 g
- Dietary fiber: 7 g
- Sodium: 117 mg
- Saturated fat: 1 g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7 g
- Total fat: 10 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Protein: 6 g
- Calories: 282