Clams are an excellent source of vitamin B-12 and iron and a good source of selenium. To preserve their texture, don't overcook clams. Add them to the sauce just before serving.
- 10 ounces (about 5 cups) uncooked fettuccine
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) clams, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
Fill a large pot 3/4 full with water and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente (tender), about 8 minutes, or according to the package directions. Drain the pasta thoroughly.
In a large saucepan, add the garlic, tomatoes, corn, wine, olive oil and basil. Cover and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and add the clams and pasta. Toss gently to coat. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- Total carbohydrate: 52 g
- Dietary fiber: 3 g
- Sodium: 147 mg
- Saturated fat: 0.5 g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2 g
- Total fat: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 19 mg
- Protein: 18 g
- Calories: 316