This chicken dish is moist and flavorful thanks to slow cooking in a covered container. The delicate sage and licorice flavor of the tarragon complements the chicken perfectly.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups whole pearl onions
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon
- 2 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 3/4 cup uncooked wild rice
Preheat the oven to 300 F.
Cut chicken breasts into 1/2- to 1-inch pieces. Combine the chicken, celery, pearl onions and tarragon plus 1 cup of the unsalted chicken broth in a nonstick frying pan. Cook on medium heat until the chicken and vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
In a baking dish, combine the wine, remaining 1 cup chicken broth, and rice. Let soak for 30 minutes.
Add the cooked chicken and vegetables to the baking dish. Cover and bake for 60 minutes. Check periodically and add more broth if the rice is too dry. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- Total carbohydrate: 37 g
- Dietary fiber: 2 g
- Sodium: 180 mg
- Saturated fat: 1 g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1 g
- Total fat: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 73 mg
- Protein: 21 g
- Calories: 330