Riverside Health System provides an innovative learning environment for residents enrolled in the PGY1 Pharmacy Residency. Located in coastal Virginia, Riverside is a large health system with a history that spans more than 100 years. Riverside Regional Medical Center is the largest of the system's seven hospitals with approximately 450 inpatient beds.
An acute care facility, Riverside Regional Medical Center provides:
- a regional cancer care center
- the Virginia Peninsula region's only comprehensive stroke center
- the area's only open-heart surgery program
- the region's only Level II trauma center
- a cornerstone neurosciences program that includes the Chesapeake Regional, Riverside and University of Virginia Radiosurgery Center
Riverside Regional Medical Center recently completed construction on a new addition to the hospital's Pavilion wing that adds 144 private patient rooms.
Additional Riverside hospitals include:
- Riverside Behavioral Health Center - psychiatric hospital
- Riverside Doctors' Hospital Williamsburg
- Riverside Rehabilitation Hospital
- Riverside Shore Memorial Hospital
- Riverside Tappahannock Hospital
- Riverside Walter Reed Hospital
- Select Specialty Hospital-Hampton Roads - long-term acute care hospital
Community teaching hospital
Riverside Regional Medical Center hosts over 60 medical residents practicing in various specialty areas, allowing for frequent interaction on rotations. Pharmacy residents are incorporated into many of the medical resident teaching opportunities, including Grand Rounds, lunch and learns and academic research day.
Pharmacy school ties
Strong affiliations with pharmacy schools allow us to provide over 100 student rotations annually, and exposure to numerous journal club and student presentations.