Registration is now open for our Seventh Annual Riverside Oncology Nursing Conference to be held Nov. 10, 2018 in Newport News, Virginia.
Saturday, November 11, 2017
The Newport News Marriott at City Center Conference Center
740 Town Center Drive
Newport News, VA 23606
Riverside Oncology Nursing conference is designed for Oncology nurses by Oncology nurses. We will provide up-to-date information to regional oncology nurses so that they may be informed of current standards.
William H. McAllister, IV, MD
Riverside Hampton Roads Neurosurgical & Spine Specialists
Laura D. Kerbin, MD
Medical Oncology, Riverside Shore Cancer Center
At the conclusion of the program, participants will be able to:
1. Describe the current radiosurgical treatment modalities for single and multiple brain metastases.
2. Describe the current indications for use of surgical interventions in the treatment of brain metastasis.
3. Identify safety concerns regarding the treatment of brain metastasis.
4. Identify newly approved indications for immunotherapy agents.
5. Apply current treatment strategies in the management of immunotherapy side effects.
6. Discuss and implement interprofessional care coordination strategies for patients receiving immunotherapy.
7. Identify and respond to oncologic emergencies.
8. Recognize hyper-emesis and apply current strategies to break the cycle.
9. Identify current treatment strategies used to mitigate the unique side effects of immunotherapy.
10. Describe the benefits of Patient Navigation and the role of the Oncology Nurse Navigator in Cancer Care.
11. Identify barriers to oncology care and how Navigation Services can reduce or eliminate such obstacles.
12. Describe oncology program standards pertaining to Navigation Services.
13. Identify common referral practices to Oncology Navigation services.
14. Have an understanding of distress and strategies for coping.
15. State the importance of empathy and what it means to meet the patient where they are.
16. State the importance of self-care: When the nurse is the "other patient."
Registration & Breakfast
Pat Emerson, DNP, RN, OCN, Director of Medical Oncology, Riverside Regional Medical Center
"Gold Standard Treatment for Brain Metastases"
William H. McAllister, IV, MD
"Updates in Immunotherapy"
Jessica Fischer, PharmD, MS, BCOP, Director of Infusion Services, Riverside Health System
Break and visit exhibitors
Laura D. Kerbin, MD
Lunch & visit exhibitors
"Oncology Navigation: Eliminating Barriers to Care"
Elizabeth Carter, RN, BSN, OCN
"Distress Management and Taking Care of the 'Other Patient' "
Julie Kilburn, MA in Health and Wellness
Wrap up & Evaluations
Call for Poster & Podium Presentations
Riverside Oncology Nursing invites you share your expertise and ideas through poster or podium presentations. Submissions of abstracts for presentations are now being accepted. The theme for the conference is "Course of Excellence in Oncology Nursing." Presentations in all areas of oncology nursing are especially welcomed;however other nursing-related presentations will be accepted.
Poster presentations are designed for those projects and interests that can be effectively displayed in a visual format. Presenters must be registered attendees and are expected to be at their posters and available for questions at specified times during the conference. Podium presenters will have 15 minutes to present and 10 minutes for questions.
The deadline for submissions is midnight Monday October 2, 2017—firm. Submissions are to be faxed to 757-436-2919, attention Sharon D. Guglielmini, RN OCN. Submission confirmations will be sent electronically to the applicant. If the research has been accepted for publication or has been recently published, it is the author's responsibility to make sure that the journal's copyright rules are not violated. Forward questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Continuing Nursing Education Credit
This activity will be submitted to Riverside Regional Medical Center for approval. Riverside Regional Medical Center is an approved provider of continuing education by the Virginia Nurses Association Continuing Education Approval Committee, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation. In order to receive full credit the participant must be present for the entire program and complete the evaluation form. Misplaced certificates cannot be reissued.
Registration & Payment Information
Registration for the conference will open September 1, 2017. Seating will be limited to 100 attendees.
October 20, 2017. We are not able to maintain a wait list or accept late registrations.
$20, due October 30, 2017. Make check or money order payable to "Riverside Cancer Services" and mail to:
Harolette Kelley, RN, BSN, OCN®
Riverside Cancer Care Center
12100 Warwick Boulevard, Ste 101
Newport News, VA 23601
*No payments will be accepted at the door.
**No refunds will be issued, but paid registration fees can be transferred. See below.
Overnight Accommodations at the Newport News Marriott at City Center
Please inform us of serious food allergies at the time of registration.
Kindly notify email@example.com by Friday November 3, 2017 if you are transferring your registration to another individual or if you must cancel your attendance.
Americans with Disabilities Act
Riverside Health System is an equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, age, religion, ethnic origin or disability.
*If special accommodations are needed, please contact us at 800-520-7006. Every attempt will be made to facilitate your participation in this conference. We ask that notice be provided in advance for us to best serve your needs.
For additional information
Please contact Robin B. Atkins RN OCN® at firstname.lastname@example.org