Rehabilitation and Recovery
Riverside rehabilitation centers
Depending on your surgery, overall health and home situation, your doctor may recommend that you stay at one of our Riverside rehabilitation centers rather than home for the first few days of recovery. The advantages of a rehabilitation center are many. You’ll have the experience of working with our physical therapists several times a day. You’ll learn to navigate everyday living without re-injuring your joint. In addition, you will continue to be closely monitored by the medical staff.
Recovery at home
Once home, follow these tips to protect your repaired shoulder or elbow until you are completely healed:
- Don't use the arm to push yourself up in bed or from a chair because this requires forceful contraction of muscles.
- Do follow the program of home exercises prescribed for you. You may need to do the exercises 4 to 5 times a day for a month or more.
- Don't overdo it! If your shoulder pain was severe before the surgery, the experience of pain-free motion may lull you into thinking that you can do more than is prescribed. Early overuse of the shoulder may result in severe limitations in motion.
- Don't lift anything for the first 6 weeks after surgery.
- Do avoid placing your arm in any extreme position, such as straight out to the side or behind your body for the first 6 weeks after surgery.