What to Expect at Our Rehabilitation Centers
Riverside rehabilitation professionals will create a recovery plan designed especially for you and your situation. Your team will address all aspects of your rehabilitation.
- A physiatrist is a physician specializing in physical medicine and rehabilitation. Riverside rehabilitation centers are the only centers on the Peninsula with physiatrist-directed programs. Your physiatrist will oversee your recovery program.
- Our rehabilitation nurses will provide individual nursing care and reinforce the skills learned in therapy
- The physical therapist will help you regain your independence by increasing your strength and mobility including getting in and out of a bed and walking using a cane or crutches, and going up and down stairs.
- The occupational therapist will help you learn to navigate your environment and get back to normal activities quickly
Your treatment plan
Each person's recovery is unique and to develop an appropriate plan of care for you, the physiatrist and the therapists will assess your:
- Medical history
- Exercise history
- Functional limitations
Based on the assessment of your condition, overall health, and exercise history, our staff will develop an individualized plan that helps you become mobile and independent.
Before leaving the center, most patients will learn how to:
- Get in and out of bed by yourself
- Walk using your walker or crutches
- Get in and out of the shower by yourself
- Get in and out of a chair
- Manage steps at home
- Get in and out of your car
- Do daily tasks without injuring your new joint.
- Our newly designed rooms offer TV, cable and phone service.
- Our centers are arranged so that short-term patients like you are in a separate unit from long-term patients.
- While you may not have a private room, your roommate, if you have one, will be a fellow short-term patient.
- You will want to pack comfortable, loose-fitting clothing such as sweat suits, for your workouts.
- Family members are welcomed. They are encouraged to visit and assist in your rehabilitation program.