What to Expect at Your First Appointment
A visit to a Riverside orthopaedic surgeon does not automatically mean surgery. In fact, our physicians use their skill and expertise to also determine how surgery can be avoided.
What to bring
A list of your current medications.
- Any and all x-rays, MRIs or other imaging films (including written report).
- Information about what treatments and medications have been tried in the past and medical records that you think may be helpful.
- List of questions you want to ask your physician.
- Insurance information and card.
Referral from your primary care physician, if applicable.
What to expect
Riverside orthopaedic surgeons combine compassion with expertise and skill to restore hip function and mobility. They understand the pain you are in and how a hurting hip can impact your life.
Your surgeon will:
- Discuss your symptoms with you.
- Review your records or previous tests.
- Order more diagnostic tests such as an x-ray or other imaging tests, if needed.
Order blood tests depending on your symptoms.
Your orthopaedic surgeon may examine your standing posture and how you walk, sit or lie down.
- Your doctor may move your leg and hip joint in various positions to check for pain and to evaluate your hip’s range of motion.
- If your hip hurts, your back may be examined because hip pain may actually be the result of problems in the lower spine.
- Also, your doctor will want to get a sense of how much the pain interferes with your daily living.
- Then, the two of your will discuss therapy options to relieve your hip pain and increase your mobility.