Your Diabetes Team
You've been diagnosed with diabetes. What now? Diabetes is a serious disease, but it can be managed. With some help from your Riverside health care team, you will be able to manage and control your diabetes and live a healthy, full and happy life.
What do you need from your health care team?
First, you'll need a Riverside primary care doctor to monitor your diabetes. In addition, our health care providers will help you learn to manage your diabetes. Riverside offers nutrition, exercise and diabetes education classes that your doctor can recommend for you.
Who do you need on your team?
Like most people, you will probably want to get your diabetes care from your primary care physician. Diabetes can cause many complications, so having a team of providers can improve diabetes care and reduce your risk of problems. A team can include:
- A primary care provider such as an internist, a family practice doctor, or a pediatrician. He or she will oversee and direct your care.
- An endocrinologist—a specialist in diabetes care.
- A Riverside dietitian, nurse, and other health care providers who are certified diabetes educators—experts in providing information about managing diabetes.
- A podiatrist—for foot care.
- An ophthalmologist or an optometrist—for eye care.
Depending on your individual situation, the team might include other health care providers, such as cardiologists and other specialists.