Rehabilitative Introduction to Supervised Exercise Program (R.I.S.E.)
Rehabilitative Introduction to Supervised Exercise (R.I.S.E.) is a program that helps individuals improve their strength, endurance, flexibility, balance and overall quality of life. R.I.S.E. features social support and education on how to: improve cardiovascular fitness; decrease risk of complication from chronic illness; and build a healthier lifestyle.
- Fitness assessments with an exercise physiologist
- Nutritional education with a registered dietitian
- Group supervised exercise, tailored to meet your individual needs
- Exercise prescription
- Pre- and post-exercise blood pressure readings
- Pulse/oxygen saturation monitoring before, during and after exercise
Individuals must have a signed physician referral or prescription to participate in the program. Participants are eligible for referral if they have risk factors for:
- Cardiovascular diseases - examples: congestive heart failure (CHF), hypertension (high blood pressure), peripheral artery disease (PAD), pacemakers, coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG)
- Pulmonary diseases - examples: chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), asthma, cystic fibrosis, transplants
- Metabolic diseases - examples: diabetes, chronic kidney disease, liver failure
- Immunological disorders - examples: cancer, chronic fatigue syndrome, bleeding and clotting disorders
- Orthopedic diseases and disabilities - examples: arthritis, osteoporosis
- Neuromuscular disorders - examples: stroke, multiple sclerosis, polio/post-polio syndrome, Parkinson's disease
Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon
Mondays, Wednesdays, 5:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Riverside Wellness and Fitness Center
12650 Jefferson Avenue
Newport News, VA 23602
There is a designated check-in area for R.I.S.E. participants on the main fitness floor at the Center.
- $60 for 60 days (first two months of the program)
- Options available to extend participation beyond 60 days
- Health insurance is not accepted for the R.I.S.E. program.
(757) 875-7525 ext. 307
Liza-Marie V. de la Cruz, M.S.
(757) 875-7525 ext. 340