Our student internship program provides hands-on training. The experience you will gain as an intern at one of our wellness and fitness centers could significantly improve your “marketability” to future employers.
- Work side-by-side with wellness and fitness professionals
- Experience innovative programs and services
- Develop sales and management skills
- Gain valuable marketing and sales experience
- Expand your knowledge in preparation for professional certifications
- Expand your scope to see how today’s fitness centers are integrating non-traditional ‘alternative’ services to deal with the combined health of the body, mind and spirit.
Undergraduate and graduate students majoring in fitness facility management, health and exercise science gain experience in a variety of areas:
- Facility operations
- Group exercise instruction
- Personal training
- Aquatic exercise instruction
- Innovative program development
- Exercise testing and programming
- Cardiac/Pulmonary rehabilitation
- Management training
- Membership sales
- Nutrition counseling
- Adult and youth fitness programming
- Sports strength and conditioning
- Employee wellness programs
Our internships are flexible and permit you to request concentration in specific areas in which you have high interest. We offer student internships during the summer, winter and autumn semesters.
- Spring internship - Last Friday of November
- Summer internship - Last Friday of March
- Fall internship - Last Friday of July
Ready to Apply?
You will need to send your Resume, a Copy of your transcripts (unofficial is okay), Reference from faculty advisor, and Cover letter stating the amount of hours required for your internship and explaining why you are interested in our internship experience to:
Student Internships - Exercise Physiology Department
Riverside Wellness & Fitness Center - Peninsula
12650 Jefferson Avenue
Newport News, VA 23602