Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) Degree
Surgical Technology is an allied health profession that includes surgical technologists whose function is to work in close association with surgeons, registered nurses, anesthesiologists, and other surgical services personnel as integral members of the surgical team before, during, and after surgery. Knowledge of and experience with aseptic technique, surgical techniques, and surgical instrumentation qualify surgical technologists to prepare materials and equipment for use at the operative field and to assist in their use.
Program at a Glance
- Approximately 18 months
- Hours vary Monday through Friday, 7 a.m.-5 p.m.
- College prerequisites required
- Graduation from an accredited high school with a recommended overall grade point average of 2.0; or a GED certificate.
- Anatomy & Physiology with Lab, English Composition, and College Math requirements must be completed before an application can be submitted; all prerequisites must be completed prior to beginning the program.
- Cumulative college-level GPA of 3.0 or better is recommended due to the competitive nature of admissions.
- Satisfactory score on the preadmission entrance test.
- Must be able to meet essential requirements of the program.
- Official TOEFL results if English is your second language. Minimum score of 550 (paper) or 79 (Internet-based)
- Applicants who are not U.S. citizens by birth must provide immigration or citizenship documentation.
- Satisfactory interview (for applicants meeting preadmission test requirements).
- Documentation of previous health care experience (including volunteer hours) is recommended.
- Current or past employees of Riverside Health System will be evaluated for job performance and eligibility for rehire.
Admission is on a competitive basis. Riverside College of Health Careers reserves the right to select those applicants who are deemed best qualified for both the program of study and potential employment by Riverside Health System.
All courses must be completed with grades of "C" or above. All items marked with ** must be completed prior to application submission. All prerequisites must be completed before beginning the program.
- Anatomy and Physiology with Lab - 4 credits **
- English Composition - 3 credits **
- College Math (100-level or higher) - 3 credits **
- General, Introductory, or Developmental Psychology - 3 credits
- Medical Terminology - 2 credits
The Surgical Technology Program is:
- Accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) in collaboration with the Accreditation Review Council on Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (ARC/STSA).
- Accredited by the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES)
Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES)
Riverside College of Health Careers is certified by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV).
The information contained in this website is informational only, and not intended to be contractual in nature. We reserve the right to change or alter any statements herein without prior notice.